Under the Youth Entrepreneurship Pathway and Job Creation Program, SCAN will provide employer support that includes:
- Participating in SCAN’s Virtual Career Fair
- Designing a job description to ensure youth time with the Employer is effectively utilized
- Sourcing and applying for funding
- Recruiting co-ops/interns for participating employers
- Student Performance review
- Human Resource Training for Employers – Payroll Management
- Reporting to Funder
Sourcing and Applying for Funds
Government funding for the program takes different forms.
a. Where there exists the option of the Government paying 100% of the salary (minimum wage), the Employer will only pay the additional wage above the minimum wage and Mandatory Employment Related Costs (MERCs) (if applicable).
b. Where there exists the option of the Government paying less than 100% of the minimum wage, Employers will pay the remaining percentage and Mandatory Employer Related Costs (MERCs) (if applicable). In such cases, governments may pay 50 – 80% of the youth’s salary.
Mandatory Employment Related Costs are the cost employers must pay based on federal and provincial laws and the Employment Insurance (EI) and Canada Pension Plan (CPP). MERCs are calculated by multiplying their salary by 0.0162 and multiplying the result by 1.4.
For example, if employers pay $15 an hour to youth, and the Government is providing 75% of the funding, the cost to the Employer will be:
(0.25 * 15) + (15 * 0.0162) * (1.4) = $4.10 per hour.
Employers will pay CAD 750 to participate in the program. The breakdown is as follows:
- You must make an upfront payment of $150 to participate in the program. The $150 is non-refundable.
- The final $600 will be required once funding is received and before the start of the recruitment process.
- You can make payments via email money transfer at email@example.com.
NB: There is an upcoming funding deadline – January 12, 2023, that we encourage our Employers to take advantage of as it would ensure you can hire youth in the summer.
Have a question?
We are hosting an information session on December 12, 2022. Click HERE to register. Please register in advance, as spaces are limited. See you soon!
You can find out more about the program at https://www.s-can.org/our-projects/youth-entrepreneurship-pathway-and-job-creation/